CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Grateful For...

Working with children with disabilities, I've learned that I have many things to be grateful for.

-I am grateful I have parents that would do anything for me. I have been working with my kids for three years, and have yet to meet a few of the parents.

-I am grateful I can speak (probably not everyone else is thankful I can. =) Many of my children can not speak verbally and I see the frustration in their eyes. It only took one time to see the children come home from school looking exhausted. I thought, what is so difficult for someone that gets to play games and have a simple schedule of activities every day? I then kicked myself, and realized, it i probably exhausting to not be able to speak! How do you make choices? What if you can't communicate you don't like what is for dinner, and are so hungry? My poor babies eat it anyways and there goes simple happiness. I could go on and on.

-I was eating pop corn and licked my fingers. I am grateful I have fingers. Can you imagine what life would be like without thumbs? A little more difficult I would assume!

-We just got two new little boys that are brothers. They are six and eight but barely the size of two and three year olds. Their mom was unable to take proper care of them. I am grateful they are safe. I am grateful I am safe, and have been safe since I was born.

-I am grateful I have friends. Many of my kids will never know what friends are. They don't have social abilities like "most" people. Yes they have people they care about but they won't be able to call friends, go to sleep overs or go to birthday parties.

I am grateful to have experiences in my life that have taught me to be grateful. I am grateful I don't have the newest clothes, that I have un-finished painted rooms in my house, and have to hang my clothes to dry (yes-all of them.)

I pray, I grow more grateful everyday, and that I give to those in need when ever possible.

0 comments: