CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Carefree

Yesterday I pouted my way into work and out of work.  It wasn't anything that my students did, it was all my poor attitude and the non-sense that has to be fought to get my students what they need.  The day ended with something that my head understood but my heart had yet to accept.  Something I knew I didn't have control over but didn't want to accept.  Anyways, when my coworkers reassured me I had done the right thing, I tried to agree and then said "I'm getting Caleb, letting him eat all the M and Ms he wants and enjoy driving with the windows open."  I knew Caleb would make my day better no matter what.
I took him and my friend Cierra to a Special Olympics fundraiser at my school.  He loved the music and the many snacks I had brought for him.  He ran around the gym and even tried to escape the building to watch people load supplies into the car.  He didn't worry how much money we were going to raise or if we had enough food.  He just enjoyed the event.  

When I drove Caleb back to his home, I realized something that I never noticed in the year he has been at the group home.  The street Caleb lives on is called Carefree and his staff call his house the "Carefree house."  Of course I have known the name of the street but I made the connection of how meaningful this was.  If I could describe Caleb in a word it would be carefree, how perfect is this house for him in so many ways. 

Sometimes I get angry that Caleb doesn't understand what graduation is or that he won't go through "typical" teen activities.  But then I realize that Caleb has the better end of the deal in this life.  He doesn't have to stress about bills, if his car has enough gas to get to work or if he will have enough food for lunches.  Caleb's day starts with a new chapter everyday and whatever comes his way, he goes with.  If there is a bump along the way, he goes with it. It never fails that I plan an even to take him too like a big fundraiser with auctions, food and live music and all he wants to do is stick his hands out the window and scream at trucks.  He is carefree in this life.

Dude, we are going to rock out summer this year.  You and I are going to be carefree and are going to soak up what life is all about!


0 comments: